In an effort to implement social distancing practices recommended to slow the spread of COVID-19, Mayor Michael L. Hansen has amended his emergency proclamation from Tuesday, March 17 and Wednesday, March 18 to include closing all city buildings from public access through April 30, 2020. View the amended proclamation here.
The City of Newton offices, including Public Works (Public Works, Community Development, and Community Services), City Hall, the Newton Fire Department and Newton Police Department are closed to the Public. The Newton Public Library is also closed to the public. Newton Water Works, which is housed in City Hall, will also be closed to the public.
While these facilities are closed to walk-in traffic, City services will continue to be provided by City departments and divisions with customer service needs being either handled online, via email or by phone.
Please note the following adjustments to help us continue to serve you.
- Please visit our website at www.newtongov.org/directory.aspx for department contact information and online services.
- If you are unable to find what you need on the website, email email@example.com or call City Hall at 641-792-2787 from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday.
- Newton Water Works customer service staff is working normal business hours and can be reached at 641-792-2003. To make your water bill payment, you can 1) place check or money order in the drop box to the left of the front doors of City Hall or 2) send check or money order via mail to Newton Water Works or 3) sign up for auto-pay of your water bill with your checking or savings account - which is a free service. Find out more here: www.newtongov.org/584/Payment-Information
- Many licenses and permits are available online: www.newtongov.org/405/Licenses-or-Permits, trade permits, rental housing registrations, etc. to be submitted electronically. Some forms are available as PDFs and can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Building inspections are continuing as normal and can be scheduled by calling 641-792-6622 ex. 2306.
- Contact the Newton Police Department for non-emergency calls during business hours call 641-791-0850 and after-business hours call 641-792-1547. Call 9-1-1 only for life-or-death emergencies or crimes in progress. On certain calls, officers may be wearing additional protective gear to limit exposure.
- Contact the Newton Fire Department for non-emergency calls at 641-792-3347. Call 9-1-1 only for life-or-death emergencies. On certain calls, firefighters may be wearing additional protective gear to limit exposure.
- For after-hours Public Works related issues, including water, sewer, storm drain, or streets, please call 641-792-1547.
- Patrons of the Newton Public Library are encouraged to access online magazines, e-books and audio books through OverDrive and Libby. Visit www.newtongov.org/library for more information.
This public health emergency is ever evolving so the City of Newton has created a landing page with information and resources about COVID-19 at www.newtongov.org/COVID-19.
You can receive updates from our website by visiting www.newtongov.org/list.aspx, type in your email address and click sign in, then sign up to receive updates under Notify Me > City of Newton Updates and under Alert Center > City of Newton Emergency Alerts. You can also sign up to receive news flashes, calendar of events notifications and agendas.
Updates from the City of Newton are also being released on social media on the City of Newton, Iowa – Government Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/cityofnewtoniowa.