Spring weather brings an increase in pedestrians and cyclists to Newton trails, parks and streets. Here are some safety and courtesy tips to help keep everyone safe and happy!
- Slow down or stop at intersections and trail crossings.
- Always be aware of nearby bicyclists and pedestrians.
- Watch the speed limit signs and adjust accordingly near parks and schools.
Bicyclists and Pedestrians:
- If riding on streets, always ride with traffic and follow the rules of the road.
- Watch for items on the road or trail that might make you swerve or fall.
- Watch for turning traffic at every intersection.
- If walking or riding at night, always wear reflective gear.
- Wear a helmet at all times when cycling.
- Be sure to yell "on your left" when passing someone on the trail.
Read more about Iowa Bike Safety.
- Pick up all pet waste, and dispose of it in trash receptacles.
- Make sure your cats and dogs are licensed, as is required per City ordinance.
Thanks for your cooperation!