Law enforcement and concert production officials are preparing for Friday’s (June 9) Metallica concert at Iowa Speedway, and they are asking Iowans and visiting concert goers to do the same. With an estimated crowd size of 30,000 making their way across the state in approximately 15,000 vehicles on Friday afternoon, guests are strongly encouraged to plan on arriving between 2:00 p.m. CT and 4:00 p.m. CT to avoid heavy congestion on the roadways and ensure the ability to get to their seats in a timely manner.
The Newton Police Department, Iowa State Patrol, Iowa DOT, Jasper County Sheriff’s Office and concert production officials are working in conjunction with a private traffic control company to place signs and cones that will clearly mark travel routes for fans attending the event. Officers will be working intersections along the route to ensure traffic moves in a safe and efficient manner. Motorists traveling to and from Iowa Speedway are reminded to expect slow traffic and possible delays, obey all traffic laws, pay attention to flashing lights and signs, and always follow officers’ directions. Motorists should avoid stopping on the travel routes to ask questions unless it is an emergency. The key to safe and efficient traffic flow with minimal delays, will be a cooperative effort between the motoring public, law enforcement and concert production staff.
Concert Event Schedule – Friday, June 9:
- Parking Lots Open: 2:00 p.m. CT
- Admission Gates Open: 4:00 p.m. CT
- Show Start: 6:00 p.m. CT* (subject to change)
- Show End: 11:00 p.m. CT* (subject to change)
- Parking Fee Notice: All vehicles will be subject to a $10/vehicle parking fee – CASH ONLY
- Traffic: Guests are encouraged to plan their route for arrival between 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. CT to avoid heavy traffic
Have a safe trip to the concert!